Sport Recaps

The Premier League Recap: Matchweek 15

We bring you the biggest headlines from all of this weekend’s Premier League matches. The huge London derby between Arsenal and Chelsea, an exciting tie at the King Power which saw Leicester take on Manchester United, plus all of the remaining action from this jam-packed Boxing Day weekend.

Arsenal claim much-needed win over Chelsea at the Emirates

The Gunners finally ended their seven-match winless run as they defeated their fellow London rivals Chelsea 3-1 at the Emirates Stadium. It was the blues who came closest first as a Mason Mount free-kick hit the outside of the post, narrowly missing the target. However, Arsenal capitalised and took the lead in the 34th minute after Alexandre Lacazette converted a penalty that was awarded when the Chelsea right back Reece James brought down Kieran Tierney in the area. Granit Xhaka then doubled Arsenal’s advantage with an excellent free-kick that rifled into the top right corner from 25 yards out. On the 56 minute mark, Bukayo Saka put the Gunners 3-0 ahead when he curled the ball into the net from the right side of the penalty box, giving Mendy no chance. Tammy Abraham pulled back a goal for Chelsea with just five minutes remaining, but they were denied a second as Bernd Leno saved a stoppage-time penalty from Jorginho. These three points now see Arsenal move up to 14th, whilst a third consecutive away defeat for Chelsea leaves them in 7th place. 

Leicester vs Manchester United ends all square at the King Power

A very late own goal from Axel Tuanzebe saw Leicester City come from behind twice to earn a 2-2 draw with Manchester United at the King Power. The Red Devils started the game the brighter of the two teams when Marcus Rashford missed an early chance to get the opening goal by heading over Bruno Fernandes’ cross. However, there was no mistake made the second time around as the pair combined again when the Portuguese midfielder slotted a ball into the path of the England striker to convert his 50th Premier League goal. The in-form Harvey Barnes equalised for the Foxes just 8 minutes later by sending his shot way beyond David De Gea. In the second half, the United substitute Edison Cavani coolly played in Fernandes who easily slotted past the Leicester keeper Kasper Schmeichel, giving the Reds a 2-1 lead. With just five minutes of the game remaining, there was some late drama as Jamie Vardy saw his shot deflected into the back of the net by Tuanzebe, who only came on as a result of the injury to Victor Lindelof. The points were shared, moving both teams into the top 4. 

City jump up to 5th with victory over Newcastle

Manchester City have recorded successive back to back victories after a 2-0 home win at the Etihad against Newcastle United. It didn’t take the sky blues long before getting their first after a lovely move from Raheem Sterling put Ilkay Gundogan through on goal to give his team the lead in the 14th minute. City star Kevin De Bruyne missed a huge chance to get the second just before half-time, seeing his effort from close range saved by the Magpies keeper Karl Darlow. Newcastle winger Jacob Murphy did force a save out of Ederson early in the second half, however, it was Torres that saw his shot deflected into the net in the 55th minute to double Manchester City’s lead. City now jump up to 5th place on 26 points, whilst Newcastle remain in 12th place with 18 points. 

Villa seal victory with 10 men at home against the Eagles

Aston Villa secured a brilliant 3-0 victory over Crystal Palace on Boxing Day. Bertrand Traore gave Villa the lead in just the 5th minute where he reacted the quickest to tap in the rebound after the initial save from Ollie Watkins’ shot. Not long before half time, the home team were dealt a blow and reduced to 10 men as defender Tyrone Mings received his second yellow card for a foul on Wilfred Zaha. This didn’t stop them though as Villa managed to go 2-0 up in the 66th minute thanks to Kortney Hause, who bundled it over the line after the initial header from Watkins hit the crossbar. It was never getting any easier for Palace, who conceded a third goal after a superb strike from Anwar El Ghazi curled in off the post to claim all three points for his team at Villa Park. 

Sigurdsson’s strike sends the Toffees second

A late goal by Gylfi Sigurdsson in the 80th minute was enough to secure a 1-0 win for the Toffees at Bramall Lane. It was the former Watford man Doucoure that set up the Icelandic, who fired his shot into the bottom left corner to claim all three points for the away side. Everton’s top goal scorer Dominic Calvert-Lewin had a shot off target in the first half, whilst Oliver Burke saw his strike go inches wide of the goal. Despite a late push for an equaliser, Everton hung on to the win and now move up into second place. Sheffield still remain bottom of the table on two points. 

Stalemate at Craven Cottage

There was a stalemate at Craven Cottage as Southampton were held to a 0-0 draw against a strong-willed Fulham side. James Ward-Prowse saw his free-kick hit the crossbar in the first half before Che Adams was unable to get the rebound on target. The Saints thought that they had scored twice in the second half, but after VAR reviews, both of the goals were disallowed for offside against Shane Long and Adams. Fulham remain in the relegation zone and Southampton drop to 9th place on 25 points. 

Burnley’s unbeaten run comes to an end at the hands of Leeds

Burnley’s four-match unbeaten run came to an end at Elland Road, after a Leeds penalty from striker Patrick Bamford sealed a 1-0 victory for the home side. Bamford won the penalty after just five minutes and converted the spot-kick from 12 yards out, taking his current tally up to 10 goals for the season so far. Leeds were pushing for a second with Hernandez, Harrison and Rodrigo all having a go, but were all denied by the England goalkeeper Nick Pope. The Clarets were pushing for an equaliser at the end of the game, but when it fell to Jay Rodriguez in the 88th minute, he was only able to fire over the bar from close range. 

Soucek rescues point for West Ham at the London Stadium

A late header from West Ham United’s Tomas Soucek earned them a 2-2 draw against Brighton on Sunday afternoon. It was the Seagulls who dominated the first 45 minutes and deservedly took the lead just before half time when Neal Maupay tapped in a loose ball to get his fifth goal of the season. The Hammers drew level on the hour mark with a first-ever Premier League goal by Ben Johnson. Brighton went 2-1 in front just ten minutes later as the captain Lewis Dunk poked the ball home from a corner. However, the home side was able to claw it back once more when Soucek’s 82nd-minute header meant that they would be walking away with a point. This is Brighton’s third successive draw. 

WBA stun Liverpool at Anfield

A stunning comeback from West Bromwich Albion secured them a 1-1 draw with the current Premier League holders Liverpool at Anfield. It was the Reds who struck first when Sadio Mane put the home team ahead after controlling the initial pass from Joel Matip and sending it firmly past the keeper. The equaliser came from Semi Ajayi’s 82nd-minute header, which was his first goal for the Baggies. Liverpool almost found a winner when Roberto Firmino had his header excellently saved by Sam Johnstone. This makes West Brom the first team to deny Liverpool a win at Anfield this season. The champions remain 3 points clear at the top of the table, whilst Albion stay in the relegation zone with just 8 points.

Nothing to separate the two sides at the Molineux

Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham Hotspur were held to a 1-1 draw against Wolves at the Molineux on Sunday evening. Spurs started the game brilliantly when a strike from Tanguy Ndombele tucked into the bottom corner to give the visitors the lead just 57 seconds into the match. Wolves made a spirited effort to get back into the game, with Daniel Podence twice going close to finding an equaliser but each time was denied by Hugo Lloris. Just as Tottenham thought they had done enough to take all 3 points back to London, Roman Saiss flicked the ball into the back of the net from a Pedro Neto corner to get his team a point in the final ten minutes. 

%d bloggers like this: