Sport Recaps

The Premier League Recap: Matchweek 20

We bring you all of the biggest headlines from the midweek round of action in the Premier League. Liverpool travel to Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea host Wolves in their first game under new manager Thomas Tuchel, plus we’ll cover every other game that has taken place over the past week.

West Ham edge the Eagles in a 5 goal thriller

Two goals from Tomas Soucek was enough to claim all 3 points for West Ham as they earned a 3-2 away victory against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Tuesday night. 

It was the Eagles who took an early lead when Wilfred Zaha rifled his shot into the back of the net from the edge of the area after just three minutes. 

The Hammers responded quickly and found the equaliser as Michail Antonio flicked the ball across the face of goal where Soucek met it with an inch-perfect header. 

In the 25th-minute, Aaron Cresswell whipped in a free-kick where Soucek volleyed in his second of the night to put the visitors 2-1 ahead. 

During the second half, Craig Dawson extended West Ham’s lead to three when his thumping header was put beyond the reach of keeper Vicente Guaita. 

The Palace substitute Michy Batshuayi coolly tucked in a second for the home side in injury time but it was not enough to take anything from the game. 

David Moyes’ men jump up to 4th in the Premier League table with other teams around them still with games in hand, whilst the Eagles are 13th on 23 points. 

Leeds return to winning ways with victory over the Magpies

A fourth goal of the season from Jack Harrison secured a 2-1 win for Leeds United over Newcastle at St. James’ Park. 

Raphina gave Leeds the early advantage after a quick break by Patrick Bamford allowed Rodrigo to tee up the Brazilian international to put the visitors one ahead. 

After the break, the Magpies improved their game and deservedly got the leveller when a flick-on into the box by Callum Wilson put Miguel Almiron through on goal who made no mistake in putting the ball calmly past Karl Darlow. 

In the 61st-minute, Jack Harrison was on hand to restore the visitors’ lead when he struck in a powerful shot from the left side of the penalty area. 

The hosts came close to rescuing a point when Jamal Lewis and Jamaal Lascelles both hit the crossbar but Steve Bruce’s side struggled to find that finishing touch in the final third with Leeds taking all three points on the night. 

Saka leads Arsenal to comfortable win over the Saints

A goal and an assist by the young Arsenal starlet Bukayo Saka guided them to a 3-1 away victory over Southampton at the St Mary’s Stadium. 

The Saints went ahead inside the opening three minutes when a corner from James Ward-Prowse landed at the feet of Stuart Armstrong who rocketed his shot into the back of the net. 

The Gunners equalised just five minutes later when Granit Xhaka picked out a wonderful cross that was met by Nicholas Pepe who made no mistake with a smart finish from close-range. 

Arsenal took the lead just before half-time as Alexandre Lacazette played in Bukayo Saka who went around the goalkeeper and gave himself an easy tap in. 

The game was wrapped up when the visitors added a third in the 72nd-minute as Saka floated the ball out to Lacazette who was waiting to convert at the far post. 

This is Arteta’s fifth league win in six matches which sends Arsenal up to 8th. Southampton find themselves sitting in 11th. 

A 5-star performance from Manchester City

Manchester City secured their seventh straight Premier League victory with an impressive performance which saw them come out 5-0 winners against West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns. 

Ilkay Gundogan scored for the third successive match to give the visitors the opener before Joao Cancelo doubled City’s advantage with his curling strike from the edge of the area. 

Gundogan added the third on the half-hour mark when a Baggies defender lost possession which allowed the midfielder to enter the box and dispatch with a cool finish. 

Riyad Mahrez made it four to the blues just minutes before half-time with a fierce strike from the right side of the penalty area. 

Raheem Sterling tapped home the fifth approaching the hour-mark as the ball was played across the six-yard box by Mahrez and was easily met by the England international to kill the game off. 

A superb display by Pep Guardiola’s men well and truly keeps them in the race for that all-important title. 

Burnley stage comeback at Turf Moor

A header in the 79th-minute by the Burnley forward Chris Wood was enough to secure back-to-back victories for the Clarets as they came from behind to beat Aston Villa by 3 goals to 2 at Turf Moor. 

Villa went ahead after a quarter of an hour when Ollie Watkins neatly finished off the left-wing cross from Matt Targett. Burnley pulled a goal back early in the second-half when captain Ben Mee’s bullet header was rocketed in from Ashley’s Westwood’s corner. 

The in-form Jack Grealish put the visitors back into the lead with a low volley after completing a brilliant one-two move with Douglas Luiz. 

The home side responded quickly and found the equaliser once more when Dwight McNeil’s low cross into the box ended up running past everyone and sneaking into the bottom-right corner. 

With just 11 minutes remaining on the clock, the Clarets completed a remarkable turnaround when Chris Wood headed in McNeil’s cross at the back post to claim all three points for his team. 

Stalemate at Stamford Bridge

Thomas Tuchel’s first game in charge at Chelsea ended in a goalless draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers at Stamford Bridge. 

The hosts enjoyed the majority of possession in the first-half with Callum Hudson-Odoi putting a teasing low ball across the face of goal but Olivier Giroud narrowly failed to connect. 

After the break, Pedro Neto almost found an opener for the visitors when his chipped effort over Edouard Mendy clipped the top of the crossbar. 

Chelsea continued to press but they failed to find the back of the net after Mateo Kovacic could only fire his shot inches wide of the post. 

The result takes the Londoners up to 8th on 30 points whilst Wolves are sat in 13th on 23 points. 

Honours even on the south coast 

A goal-line clearance by the Seagulls captain Lewis Dunk denied Fulham the chance to take all three points as Brighton earned a 0-0 draw against the Cottagers at the Amex Stadium. 

Leandro Trossard saw his shot saved by the feet of the goalkeeper Alphonse Areola whilst the visitors’ Ivan Cavaleiro flashed his strike just wide of the post. 

In the second half, Brighton continued to attack but it was Fulham who had the best chance of the game in the final minutes as Ruben Loftus-Cheek fired a shot that was goal bound but was kept out by Dunk’s superb clearance. 

Everton earn point against the high flying Foxes

A second-half goal by Youri Tielemans rescued a point for Leicester as they claimed a 1-1 draw against Everton at Goodison Park. 

The Toffees took the lead on the half-hour mark when the initial cross by James Rodriguez deflected back into his path off Wesley Fofana which allowed the midfielder to set himself and curl a strike in off the right-hand post. 

The Foxes found the equaliser in the 67th-minute when the low shot by Tielemans beat Jordan Pickford who questionably could have done better to make the save. 

The England number one then had to deny James Maddison before Dominic Calvert-Lewin sent a header just past the post as neither side could find the late winner. 

Everton drop to 7th on 33 points whilst Leicester stay 3rd on 39. 

Sheffield United claim shock victory at Old Trafford

Sheffield United recorded just their second win of the season on Wednesday night after they secured a 2-1 away victory against Manchester United at Old Trafford. 

Kean Bryan put the Blades ahead in the 23rd-minute as he headed in his first ever Premier League goal from John Fleck’s arriving corner. 

The Red Devils found the leveller early in the second half when Harry Maguire met the initial corner from Alex Telles that was firmly headed into the back of the net. 

As both sides continued pushing, it was the visitors who restored their advantage just ten minutes later when Oliver Burke’s strike was deflected off Axel Tuanzebe and went in off the underside of the crossbar. 

This means that the hosts missed out on going back to the top of the table but still leaves them in a very respectable 2nd place on 40 points. Sheffield remain bottom but they have now moved to within 10 points of safety. 

Liverpool return to winning ways at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Sadio Mane and Trent Alexander-Arnold each claimed a goal and an assist on Thursday night as Liverpool secured a 3-1 away victory over Spurs in the capital. 

Inside the opening five minutes of the match, Tottenham thought that they had taken the lead through Son Heung-Min but the goal was overturned for offside following a VAR review. 

Depite a nervy start, it was Liverpool who capitalised first just minutes before the break when Sadio Mane squared the ball across the face of goal for Roberto Firmino to make an easy tap in. The Reds’ right-back Alexander-Arnold then made it two to the visitors by firing his shot into the bottom-left hand corner after Hugo Lloris’ initial save fell directly into his path. 

Spurs pulled a goal back in the 49th-minute when Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg rifled his fierce strike into the back of the net from outside the area. 

Mohamed Salah also had a goal ruled out during the second-half which was disallowed for a handball offence in the build-up. However, it wasn’t long before Liverpool restored their two goal advantage when Alexander-Arnold’s whipped delivery into the box took a slight touch off Joe Rodon which landed invitingly for Mane to smash it into the roof of the net from close-range. 

Up until this game, Liverpool hadn’t scored in the league for 7 hours and 57 minutes! This result now takes the current Premier League champions up to 4th place on 37 points whilst Tottenham are in 6th on 33. 

%d bloggers like this: