Sport Recaps

The Premier League Recap: Matchweek 23

We bring you all the biggest headlines from this weekend’s latest round of Premier League action. Manchester United host Everton, Manchester City travel to Merseyside to take on Liverpool, plus we’ll cover every other game from Matchweek 23.

Arsenal suffer defeat at the hands of Villa

An early goal by Ollie Watkins was enough for Aston Villa to secure a 1-0 victory and complete the league double over Arsenal for the first time since the 1992/93 season. 

The striker scored just two minutes into the game as he clinically finished off the cutback from Bertrand Traore inside the area which took a slight deflection on its way through. 

The Gunners struggled to create any real chances during the first half with Granit Xhaka coming the closest when his free-kick forced a good save out of Emiliano Martinez. 

Villa pushed for a second in the final stages of the match with Mat Ryan, who was making his Arsenal debut in goal, having to deny the captain Jack Grealish from close range. 

Dean Smith’s side now find themselves in 9th place on 35 points whilst Arsenal are in 11th on 31. 

Points are shared at Turf Moor

Brighton have now extended their unbeaten run to five matches as they earned a 1-1 draw against Burnley at Turf Moor. 

The Seagulls opened the scoring on 36 minutes when the corner from Pascal Gross was headed in by the skipper Lewis Dunk. 

The Clarets found the equaliser early in the second half when Erik Pieters initially had his strike saved by Robert Sanchez but the clearance fell into the path of Johann Gudmundsson who fired home for his first goal of the season. 

Matej Vydra almost got the winner for the hosts as he drew another save from Sanchez but Brighton held on and were successfully able to claim a point. 

10-man Newcastle claim victory against the Saints

A first half double from Miguel Almiron helped Newcastle United earn a much needed 3-2 win against Southampton at St. James’ Park. 

The Magpies took the lead on 16 minutes when Allan Saint-Maximin squared the ball neatly to debutant Joe Willock who put the ball beyond the reach of Alex McCarthy. 

The hosts doubled their advantage after Almiron saw his low effort slightly deflected before the Saints pulled a goal back through the Liverpool loanee Takumi Minamino who fired his high strike confidently into the back of the net. 

Steve Bruce’s side got their third of the night when Almiron picked up the loose ball from McCarthy and swept his shot home from close range. 

A superb free-kick from James Ward-Prowse revived a bit of hope for Southampton whose spirits were lifted when Newcastle were reduced to 10-men after Jeff Hendrick received a second yellow card but despite their valiant efforts, the visitors failed to find that all-important equaliser. 

Stalemate at Craven Cottage

Fulham recorded their ninth draw of the season as they were held by West Ham United at Craven Cottage where the match ended goalless. 

The visitors started brightly with Jarrod Bowen almost connecting with the cross into the box from Aaron Cresswell. 

The best chance of the game for Scott Parker’s men came when Bobby De Cordova-Reid saw his effort fired narrowly over the crossbar. 

The Hammers were reduced to 10-men in stoppage-time when Tomas Soucek received a straight red card for an elbow to the face on Aleksandar Mitrovic. 

This result sees Fulham remain in 18th on 15 points whilst Burnley are just one place above in 17th on 23. 

Calvert-Lewin rescues late point for the Toffees

Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored with the last kick of the match to rescue a point for Everton as they earned a 3-3 draw against Manchester United at Old Trafford. 

Edinson Cavani opened the scoring for the hosts on 24 minutes after he headed in the cross from Marcus Rashford and put it beyond Robin Olsen. 

The Red Devils doubled their advantage just minutes before the break when Bruno Fernandes curled in a magnificent floating effort from outside of the area. 

The Toffees made a comeback and scored two goals inside the space of three minutes when Doucoure tapped in the parry of David De Gea before James Rodriguez fired his low strike into the bottom right-hand corner. 

Solskjaer’s men restored their lead when Scott McTominay headed in the cross from Luke Shaw before Calvert-Lewin found a stoppage-time equaliser poking in the flick on from Michael Keane. 

Spurs return to winning ways against West Brom

Tottenham Hotspur recorded their first win in four games as Harry Kane’s quick return from injury helped them to claim a 2-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion in North London. 

Kane opened his account on 54 minutes as he neatly finished off the through-ball into the box from Hojbjerg into the bottom right-hand corner to become Spurs’ joint-second highest all-time scorer. 

The home side added a second with a brilliant counter-attacking goal as Kane chested the ball to Lucas Moura who ran the length of the pitch before teeing up Son Heung-Min whose powerful strike was put beyond the reach of Sam Johnstone. 

The Baggies did have the ball in the back of the net on two separate occasions but both of these were ruled out for offside following VAR reviews. 

This result sees Mourinho’s men remain in 8th position on 36 points whilst West Brom are second from bottom on 11. 

Honours even at Molineux

Leicester City missed the chance to go joint second in the Premier League table on Sunday afternoon as they were held to a 0-0 draw against Wolves at Molineux. 

The hosts started sharply when Ruben Neves fired his shot over after 10 minutes before Adama Traore had his strike deflected wide by James Justin. 

It was the substitutes for both sides that had the best chances to claim victory, firstly with Fabio Silva having a close-range shot saved by the palms of Kasper Schmeichel. 

Jamie Vardy later came off the bench for the visitors after a return from injury but he could only put his header wide in added time. 

Brendan Rodgers’ side remain in 3rd on 43 points whilst Wolves stay in 14th on 27. 

Manchester City go five points clear at the top

Two second half goals from Ilkay Gundogan helped Manchester City go five points clear at the top of the Premier League table after they claimed a 4-1 away victory over reigning champions Liverpool at Anfield. 

Gundogan opened the scoring on 49 minutes when he smashed in a rebound from close range after Alisson initially palmed away Phil Foden’s effort. 

Jurgen Klopp’s side equalised just past the hour mark when Mohamed Salah was brought down inside the area by Ruben Dias with the Egyptian coolly dispatching the resulting spot-kick. 

Gundogan got his second of the night when he was played in by Foden following a defensive mix-up at the back for the hosts before Raheem Sterling added City’s third with a diving header at the back post following a poor clearance from goalkeeper Alisson. 

Foden finished the scoring on 83 minutes when he rifled a fierce strike from the right-hand side of the box to give Pep Guardiola his first-ever win as a manager at Anfield. 

Chelsea remain unbeaten under Tuchel

Chelsea picked up their third successive league victory on the road after they beat Sheffield United 2-1 at Bramall Lane. 

The visitors went ahead in the 43rd-minute when Timo Werner’s cutback inside the area found Mason Mount who drilled home his effort into the bottom right-hand corner. 

The Blades found the equaliser early in the second half when Antonio Rudiger conceded an own goal after poking the ball past his own goalkeeper Edouard Mendy. 

Tuchel’s side restored their advantage just four minutes later when the Sheffield stopper Aaron Ramsdale brought down Werner in the box with Jorginho converting the resulting penalty. 

Chelsea now move up to 5th place on 39 points whilst United remain bottom of the table on 11. 

Leeds move into the top half of the table

Leeds United have lifted themselves up to 10th in the Premier League table after they secured a 2-0 home victory against Crystal Palace at Elland Road on Monday night. 

Bielsa’s men made a brilliant start to the match and went ahead after just three minutes when Jack Harrison’s strike from outside the area took a slight deflection off Gary Cahill before ending up in the back of the net. 

The hosts doubled their advantage on 52 minutes when Raphina’s initial shot was saved by Vicente Guaita but Patrick Bamford was on hand to follow up as he netted his 100th career goal. 

Harrison almost added a third for Leeds late on but his powerful effort hit the crossbar and went over. 

This result gives United their third win in four games taking them up to 32 points whilst Palace remain in 13th place on 29. 

%d bloggers like this: