Sport Recaps

The Premier League Recap: Matchweek 35

We bring you all the biggest headlines from this week’s latest round of Premier League action. Manchester United host Leicester, Chelsea travel to the Etihad to take on Manchester City, plus we’ll cover every other game from Matchweek 35.

Magpies stun Leicester at the King Power

Newcastle United secured a crucial three points in their fight to stay in the Premier League after they earned an emphatic 4-2 victory over Leicester City at the King Power Stadium. 

The Magpies opened the scoring on 22 minutes when Joe Willock capitalised on a defensive error by Soyuncu before doubling their advantage just past the half-hour mark when Paul Dummett met the corner in from Matt Ritchie to head home from close range. 

Callum Wilson added the third for Steve Bruce’s side after he dispossessed Fofana to go around the goalkeeper and slot home before the striker made it four by tapping in his own rebounded effort off the post. 

Marc Albrighton pulled a goal back for the Foxes on 80 minutes with a thumping strike from the edge of the area before Kelechi Iheanacho contributed nothing but a second consolation goal for Leicester when he finished with a low drive into the bottom corner. 

Spurs suffer shock defeat in North Yorkshire

Leeds United earned a shock victory at the weekend after they beat Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 at Elland Road. 

The hosts went ahead after 13 minutes when Hugo Lloris had to palm the ball off the line to prevent an own goal only for it to fall straight into the path of Stuart Dallas who was waiting to smash home at the near post. 

Spurs found the equaliser just before the half-hour mark when Son Heung-Min collected the through ball from Dele Alli to slot neatly into the bottom corner beyond Meslier. 

Marcelo Bielsa’s side took the lead on 42 minutes when Patrick Bamford tapped in Alioski’s cross before Leeds wrapped the game up with a third after Raphina squared the ball to Rodrigo in the area who converted into an empty net. 

Eagles earn comfortable victory over Sheffield

Crystal Palace have confirmed their Premier League status for another year after they recorded a 2-0 win over Sheffield United at Bramall Lane. 

The Eagles took the lead after just two minutes when Christian Benteke collected the through ball from Eberechi Eze who saw his strike deflected into the back of the net off George Baldock sending the goalkeeper the wrong way. 

The 17-year-old striker Daniel Jebbison, who was making his first team debut for the Blades, almost found an equaliser for the hosts when he met the cross in from Ben Osborn but could only fire his header over the crossbar. 

Palace doubled their advantage on 88 minutes when Eze made a brilliant run all the way from his own half to slot home into the bottom corner beyond the reach of Aaron Ramsdale to wrap up all three points for Roy Hodgson’s side. 

City’s wait for the title goes on

Chelsea put a stop to Pep Guardiola’s men claiming the title last weekend as they beat Manchester City 2-1 at the Etihad. 

The hosts went ahead just before half-time when Gabriel Jesus squared the ball to Raheem Sterling who tapped home into an empty net from close range. 

City had a chance to double their lead in first-half stoppage time when Billy Gilmour brought down Jesus inside the area but Sergio Aguero failed to convert the resulting penalty with the ball being chipped into the gloves of Edouard Mendy. 

Chelsea found the leveller just after the hour mark when Hakim Ziyech collected the ball from Azpilicueta to fire his effort low and into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. 

The visitors stole all three points in the 92nd-minute when Marcos Alonso met the cross in from Timo Werner to sweep his shot home giving Thomas Tuchel’s side a third straight league win. 

Liverpool return to winning ways following Saints victory

Liverpool have maintained their hopes of a top-four finish after they earned a 2-0 victory over Southampton at Anfield on Saturday evening. 

The Reds opened the scoring just past the half-hour mark when Sadio Mane met the pinpoint cross into the box from Mo Salah to head home from close range. 

The Saints pushed for the leveller and almost got it when Che Adams was denied one-on-one by a superb Alisson save. 

Thiago doubled the hosts’ lead on 90 minutes when he curled his effort low into the bottom-right hand corner from the edge of the area. 

This result now sees Jurgen Klopp’s men in 6th place on 57 points whilst Southampton find themselves in 16th on 37. 

Wolves come back from behind to sink 10-man Brighton

Morgan Gibbs-White scored his first ever Premier League goal as Wolverhampton Wanderers came from behind to beat 10-man Brighton 2-1 at the Molineux. 

The Seagulls took the lead on 13 minutes when Lewis Dunk met the cross in from Pascal Gross to head home beyond the reach of Rui Patricio. 

The visitors’ captain later received his marching orders after being shown a straight red card for bringing down Fabio Silva who was through on goal. 

The Wolves substitute Adama Traore came off the bench to find the equaliser for his team in the 76th-minute when he played a one-two with Silva and fired his effort powerfully past Robert Sanchez. 

The hosts turned the game around and got the winner in stoppage-time when Gibbs-White curled his strike into the top-right hand corner to give his side their first ever top-flight victory over Brighton. 

United take another step closer to securing Champions League place

Manchester United have kept their chances of earning a top-four place very much alive after they recorded a 3-1 away victory over Aston Villa in the Midlands. 

The hosts opened their account on 24 minutes when Bertrand Traore hit a wonderful left-footed strike into the top corner from an acute angle giving Dean Henderson no chance. 

Shortly after the break, the Red Devils found the equaliser when Douglas Luiz brought down Paul Pogba inside the area with Bruno Fernandes converting the resulting penalty. 

United took the lead in the 56th-minute when Mason Greenwood collected the pass from Aaron Wan-Bissaka to turn his defender and rifle his effort low, beating Martinez at his near post. 

The visitors sealed the win in the closing stages of the game after Edinson Cavani met the cross in from Marcus Rashford to head home from close range before Villa were reduced to 10-men when Ollie Watkins received his second yellow card of the game. 

Everton keep European hopes alive with Hammers win

West Ham United’s chances of reaching Champions League qualification have taken a huge blow as they suffered a 1-0 defeat to Everton at the London Stadium. 

The Toffees scored the only goal of the game on 24 minutes when Ben Godfrey played a superb through ball to Dominic Calvert-Lewin who turned his defender to finish neatly into the bottom corner beyond the reach of Fabianski. 

The Hammers pushed for an equaliser in the second half with Vladimir Coufal hitting the post but it wasn’t to be for David Moyes’ men who failed to find a way back. 

This result means that Everton now find themselves in 9th place on 55 points whilst West Ham are in 5th on 58. 

West Brom relegated following Gunners defeat

West Bromwich Albion have been relegated from the top flight after they suffered a 3-1 loss to Arsenal at the Emirates. 

The Gunners took the lead just before the half-hour mark when Emile Smith-Rowe met the cross in from Bukayo Saka to hit a first-time volley from close range. 

The hosts doubled their advantage on 35 minutes when Pepe curled his effort from the edge of the area into the top right-hand corner beyond Sam Johnstone. 

Matheus Pereira pulled a goal back for the Baggies after the break when he ran all the way from inside his own half to beat three defenders and calmly slot home past Bernd Leno. 

Arteta’s men sealed all the victory in the 90th-minute after Willian fired his pinpoint free-kick above the wall and into the back of the net. 

Fulham to return to the Championship after Clarets loss

Fulham have officially lost their Premier League status after their relegation was confirmed following their 2-0 defeat to Burnley at Craven Cottage. 

The Clarets opened the scoring on 35 minutes when Matej Vydra cut the ball back to Ashley Westwood inside the area who slotted home his effort from close range. 

Chris Wood doubled Burnley’s advantage and wrapped up their win shortly before the break when he collected the pass from Josh Brownhill to smash his strike into the top corner and beyond the reach of Areola. 

This result means that the Cottagers remain in 18th place on 27 points whilst Sean Dyche’s men are in 15th on 39. 

Southampton come back from behind to beat the Eagles

Southampton came back from behind on Tuesday night to beat Crystal Palace 3-1 at the St. Mary’s Stadium. 

The Eagles went ahead after just two minutes when Christian Benteke hit a powerful left-footed shot across the face of goal and beyond the reach of Fraser Forster. 

The Saints got the leveller on 19 minutes after Danny Ings met the cross in from Nathan Redmond to turn his defender and tuck his strike into the bottom corner. 

The hosts took the lead shortly after the break when Che Adams turned in Stuart Armstrong’s cross at the back post before adding a third through Ings who toe-poked his effort past Guaita. 

Foxes take another step closer to Champions League qualification

Manchester United have handed the Premier League title to their rivals Manchester City after they suffered a 2-1 loss to Leicester City at Old Trafford. 

The Foxes took the lead after just 10 minutes when Luke Thomas met the cross into the box from Youri Tielemans to hit a magnificent first-time volley into the top right-hand corner. 

The Red Devils found the equaliser on 15 minutes when Amad Diallo set up Mason Greenwood who hit his strike across the face of goal and beyond Kasper Schmeichel. 

Despite United bringing on Fernandes, Rashford and Cavani, it was the hosts who got the winning goal in the 66th-minute when Soyuncu met the ball in from Marc Albrighton to powerfully head home from close range. 

London is red following Arsenal’s derby win in the capital

Arsenal boosted their hopes of gaining European qualification on Wednesday night after they beat Chelsea 1-0 at Stamford Bridge in the London derby. 

Kai Havertz had a glorious chance to put the Blues ahead in the early stages of the game when he ran all the way from the centre circle to beat the defender but could only fire his powerful effort over the crossbar. 

It was the Gunners who took the lead on 16 minutes when Jorginho played a stray backpass which had to be palmed off the line by Kepa Arrizabalaga before Aubameyang capitalised and cut the ball back to Smith-Rowe who slotted home into an empty net. 

The hosts almost rescued a point in stoppage-time after both Kurt Zouma and Olivier Giroud hit the crossbar but Mikel Arteta’s men remained resolute in defence to hold out for an important three points. 

This result now sees Chelsea stay in 4th place on 64 points whilst Arsenal jump up to 8th on 55. 

Stalemate at Villa Park

Everton missed the opportunity to hunt down a European qualification spot after they were held to a goalless draw by Aston Villa in the Midlands. 

It was the hosts who had the best chance in the opening 45 when Tyrone Mings met the cross in from Douglas Luiz but could only fire his header over the crossbar. 

Ben Godfrey saw his volley parried away by Emiliano Martinez following a free-kick shortly after the break before Jack Grealish made his Premier League return after recovering from injury but neither side could find a breakthrough. 

This result now sees Dean Smith’s men drop to 11th place on 49 points whilst the Toffees are in 8th on 56.  

Liverpool earn vital three points in six-goal thriller

Liverpool came back from behind on Thursday night to edge Manchester United 4-2 in an end to end six-goal thriller. 

Bruno Fernandes put the Red Devils ahead after 10 minutes when his shot from the edge of the area was deflected in off Nathaniel Philips before the visitors equalised through Diogo Jota’s backheel just after the half-hour mark. 

Roberto Firmino put Liverpool ahead in first-half stoppage-time when he headed home from Trent Alexander Arnold’s free-kick before adding a third two minutes after the break when Dean Henderson parried the ball straight into the Brazilian’s path to slot in from close range. 

United pulled a second back when Marcus Rashford collected the through ball from Edinson Cavani to fire into the bottom corner and beyond the reach of Alisson. 

Mohamed Salah sealed the victory with a fourth for Jurgen Klopp’s men in the 90th-minute when he picked up the pass from Curtis Jones to catch the hosts on the break to keep Liverpool knocking on the door for that top-four place. 

%d bloggers like this: