Sport Recaps

The Premier League Recap: Matchweek 36

We bring you all the biggest headlines from this weekend’s latest round of Premier League action. Newcastle United host Manchester City, Wolverhampton Wanderers travel to London to take on Tottenham Hotspur, plus we’ll cover every other game from Matchweek 36.

Manchester City edge Magpies in seven-goal thriller

Ferran Torres got his first-ever Premier League hat-trick on Friday night as Manchester City beat Newcastle United 4-3 at St. James’ Park. 

The Magpies took the lead after 25 minutes when Emil Krafth headed in Jonjo Shelvey’s corner before City got the leveller when Joao Cancelo’s strike was deflected into the back of the net. 

The visitors went ahead for the first time through Torres’ volley before Newcastle got back on level terms through Joelinton’s spot-kick after he was brought down inside the area by Nathan Ake. 

Steve Bruce’s side went ahead on 62 minutes when Joe Willock scored the rebound from his initial saved penalty but it wasn’t long before Guardiola’s men responded when Torres converted the cutback from Gabriel Jesus to make it 3-3. 

The Spanish forward completed his treble and won the game for City in the final half-hour when he reacted the quickest and pounced on the loose ball from Cancelo’s rebounded effort off the post to tap in from close range. 

Leeds earn emphatic victory at Turf Moor

Leeds United eased past the Clarets on Saturday afternoon as they recorded an emphatic 4-0 victory over Burnley at Turf Moor. 

Mateusz Klich fired the visitors in front shortly before the break when he curled in a wonderful effort from outside the area. 

Leeds doubled their lead on 59 minutes when Jack Harrison collected the pass from Alioski to flick his shot neatly into the back of the net before Rodrigo added the third when he dinked his shot over the top of the goalkeeper Nick Pope from close range. 

The Spanish striker made it four for Marcelo Bielsa’s side just two minutes later after he latched on to Harrison’s through-ball with a composed finish. 

Saints secure comfortable win over Fulham

Nathan Tella scored his first-ever Premier League goal over the weekend as Southampton earned a 3-1 win over Fulham at the St. Mary’s Stadium. 

The hosts took the lead just before the half-hour mark when Che Adams made a smart finish from close range following James Ward Prowse’s free-kick. 

Tella came off the bench for the Saints in the second period and just two minutes later met the cross in from Kyle Walker-Peters to sweep home to double his team’s advantage. 

Fabio Carvalho pulled a goal back for the Cottagers on 75 minutes when his powerful effort went in off the crossbar before Southampton added a third through Theo Walcott who placed his strike neatly into the bottom corner. 

This victory for Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side now sends them up to 14th place on 43 points whilst relegated Fulham remain in 19th on 26. 

Honours even at the Amex

West Ham United have suffered a major setback in their hunt for a top-four place after they played out a 1-1 draw with Brighton and Hove Albion at the Amex. 

Danny Welbeck put the Seagulls ahead on 84 minutes when he collected the through-ball from Percy Tau to chip the ball over the top of Fabianski for his 50th Premier League goal. 

The Hammers substitute Said Benrahma found the equaliser late on when his curling strike from the edge of the area went in off the post to rescue a point for David Moyes’ men. 

This result now sees West Ham drop to 7th place on 59 points whilst Brighton are in 17th on 38. 

Palace comeback from behind to beat Villa

Tyrick Mitchell got his first-ever goal in the Premier League after Crystal Palace earned a 3-2 comeback win over Aston Villa at Selhurst Park. 

Goalkeeper Jack Butland, who was making his first appearance in between the sticks for the Eagles, was beaten twice in the first half by individual efforts from both John McGinn and Anwar El-Ghazi. 

The hosts’ first equaliser came just past the half-hour mark when Christian Benteke met the cross in from Mitchell to head home before Wilfred Zaha’s deflected strike made it 2-2 with just 15 minutes of the game remaining. 

Roy Hodgson’s men got the winning goal on 84 minutes when Eze’s initial shot hit the crossbar but fell straight into the path of Mitchell who was there to chest the ball over the line and complete the turnaround for his team. 

Spurs keep Europa League hopes alive following win at the Molineux

Tottenham Hotspur have moved back into the top six of the Premier League after they earned a comfortable 2-0 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers in North London. 

Harry Kane put the hosts ahead just before the break when he latched on to Hojbjerg’s through-ball to take the ball around Rui Patricio and slot home from close range. 

Spurs doubled their advantage on 62 minutes when the initial shot from Gareth Bale was saved but fell straight into the path of Hojbjerg who reacted quickest to tap in and seal all three points for Ryan Mason’s team. 

This result means that Tottenham now find themselves in 6th place on 59 points whilst Wolves are in 12th on 45. 

Alisson scores stoppage-time winner for Liverpool

Alisson Becker has become the first-ever goalkeeper to score for Liverpool as they recorded a dramatic 2-1 win over West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns. 

The Baggies took the lead after just 15 minutes when Hal Robson-Kanu beat his defender to drive a low shot into the bottom left hand corner. 

The visitors found the equaliser past the half-hour mark when Mohamed Salah hit a superb long-range effort from the edge of the area that he put beyond the reach of Sam Johnstone. 

Just as the game looked set to end all square, the Liverpool keeper went up for a late corner and with the last kick of the match met the cross in from Trent Alexander-Arnold to glance his header home to wrap up a crucial victory for Jurgen Klopp’s men in the race for a Champions League place. 

Toffees suffer defeat against the Blades

Daniel Jebbison became the youngest ever player to score on his Premier League debut as Sheffield United beat Everton 1-0 at Goodison Park. 

The 17-year-old put the Blades ahead after just 7 minutes when he met the inviting cross from Jack Robinson to tap home from close range into an empty net. 

Aaron Ramsdale made a brilliant save in the second half to deny Richarlison an equaliser when he tipped his strike around the post to ensure that the visitors took the victory back to North Yorkshire. 

This result now sees the Toffees in 8th place on 56 points whilst Sheffield remain bottom on 20. 

%d bloggers like this: